BEAM Early Stage Investing Course: Malaysia (Jan 2017)
Discover the Potential of Investing in early stage technology companies (and startups).
The BEAM Early Stage Investment Course is a comprehensive program focused on equipping potential investors with the necessary knowledge and tools of investing in early stage technology companies (and startups).
Speakers during the program will be representatives from experienced venture capitalists, angel investors, legal firm (advocate & solicitor of the High Court of Malaya), tax consultants, and startups that have presently raised capital.
Detailed information can be obtained here:
This program is perfect for:
• You're looking to explore investing in early stage companies and startups as alternative investments.
• You're looking to understand more about evaluating and structuring investment deals with startups/early stage companies.
• You're looking for alternative investments
• You're keen on getting your skin in the game of supporting and nurturing young entrepreneurs.
• You're looking to broaden your network of investor connections.
Benefits of the program
1) Full Day Program & Support
An intensive 6 hour program that will provide in-depth insights on how to invest strategically and successfully in teams of people building early stage companies. All sessions are recorded digitally as well, you will have access to download them at anytime.
2) Powerful Investments Tools
You as investors will gain exclusive access to deals, communication, and investment management tools via BEAM's ever-growing online web and mobile platform that will aid you with deal-screening and decision-making. At the same time, connect with and meet up with tens of thousands of local Entrepreneurs, Investors, Journalists, Developers, Designers, and more.
3) Introductions to Founders & Deals
Get warm introductions to teams of entrepreneurs building great companies and spend time understanding more about their businesses. You will also be notified when there are new deals taking place in the market that you can participate in.
4) Invitation to Investor-Only-Events
Get exclusive invitations to investor-only events by BEAM and our partner companies. In these events, you will be able to meet and mingle with other angel investors, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and more.
1) Mr. Andrew Tan
Andrew is the Venture Partner at TinkBig Venture, a venture capital firm based in Malaysia. An avid investor and entrepreneur who has taken 2 companies public, Andrew is very passionate about catalyzing innovations in startup companies.
2) Mr. Rashid Mohd. Nor
Rashid has over 7 years of investment experience in venture capital in areas of deal sturcturing, risk evaluation, business model analysis, and more. His past experience also includes managing portfolio companies across Malaysia / Singapore, and contributing to the regulatory framework of venture capital and private equity in Malaysia that was published in 2015.
3) Mr. Jin Tan
Jin is the Principal Partner at TinkBig Venture and the former founder of the recently acquired AppShack.Asia. An entrepreneur and angel investor with over 10 years of experience from the corporate world and ICT industry, Jin currently is the CEO and on the board for several regional companies.
4) Mr. Lai Chee Hoe
Chee Hoe is the founding partner of Chee Hoe & Associates. A CLP Book-prize winner, Chee Hoe was admitted and enrolled as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2005. He is also a chartered arbitrator and certified adjudicator within the KLRCA panel.
Startups, Legal advisors, and professional tax consultants will also be present at the event to share their insights and offer any form of support if needed.
1) Early Stage Companies Investing Basics
Gain a deeper understanding of how angel investing in startups/early stage technology companies are all about and how you can participate in investing in some of the next big innovative companies. Learn more about the math behind successes and failures when it comes to investing in early stage companies.
2) Investment Instruments
Learn more about the types of investment instruments and tools available as an angel investor when it comes to investing in early stage companies. Gain a deeper understanding on leveraging on data-driven methodologies and their applications in making sound investment decisions.
3) Deal-sourcing & Deal-flow
Understand more about the deal-flow process and the process of evaluating companies. Gain a deeper understanding about ways to filter the right investment deals effectively through tools and the right metrics. We will also introduce you to BEAM's deal-flow platform, allowing you to gain exclusive access to companies seeking to raise early stage capital.
4) Valuation & Models
Learn how to value a company and evaluate their team effectively. Gain a deeper understanding on the valuation process for different types of companies in different market segments/verticals.
5) Exits and Roadmap
Gain a deeper understanding on how your investments will yield returns when it comes to angel investing and and where the opportunities for returns/exits are. In this segment we will also cover stages of company growth and areas of investment returns that you can gain returns on.
6) Evaluation & Due Diligence
Understand how you can evaluate companies effectively through effective due diligence processes. Gain a deeper understanding on the key areas to look at with regards to the due diligence process and how follow-on investors will screen through the company.
7) Deal Structuring & Legal Matters
Gain a deeper understanding on the best practices in structuring the investment deal to ensure sustainability/growth of the company while protecting stakeholder/founders interests. Leverage on data-driven tools and support provided by BEAM to structure deals more effectively and smoothly.
8) Risk Mitigation
Learn more about areas where you as an investor can mitigate and reduce your risk of investment in the deal structuring process, and what the necessary steps to take pre/post investments are. Learn more about how you can leverage on data-driven methodologies to identify poor deals or poorly performing companies early to take early precautionary measures.
9) Driving Growth & Value Creation
Ultimately a company that is invested in will undergo growth. Understand more about how you as an investor can drive greater value for your investment portfolio companies and bring them to greater heights.
12:00 - 12:45 PM: Arrival of guests & Networking
12:45 - 1:00 PM: Welcome & Introduction
1:00 - 2:00 PM: Session 1: Basics
- Introduction & Basics
- Investment Instruments & Tools
- Return & Exits
2:00 - 4:00 PM: Session 2: Deals & Evaluation
- Deal-Sourcing and Deal-Flow
- Evaluations, Due Diligence, and Business Model Analysis
- Valuation Models
4:00 - 4:20 PM: Tea Break
4:20 - 6:00 PM: Session 3: Execution
- Deal Structuring & Strategies
- Legal & Risk Mitigation
- Driving Values & Company Growth
6:00 - 7:00 PM: Q&A Panel with Investors & Entrepreneurs
7:00 - End: Dinner & Networking
Detailed information can be obtained here:
- To connect with the BEAM international community of Investors, Entrepreneurs, Professionals, and more, you do so via our app:
Payments & Program-related Activities
- Payments are automated. Simply present your name and email address on the day of the event to confirm your attendance.
- All prices listed are in Malaysian Ringgit (MYR)
- Light refreshments and dinner will be provided at the event.
- We recommend bringing writing materials for note taking during the event.
- We recommend bringing laptops to access the online tools and resources.
- We recommend installing the BEAM App prior to the event to gain a smoother and more seamless experience throughout the event.
- If you've made a payment but are unable to attend the session, you can attend the following month's program at no additional charges.
- We do not guarantee investment returns in deals supplied during/after the program.
- Investment in early stage companies involves a significant risk and is not suitable for everyone.
- The success of an investment or partnership made in the program is not guaranteed by BEAM Pte Ltd.
- Any investment made is entirely by your own decision and BEAM Pte Ltd is/will not be liable for any responsibility and loss in any of the investments made.
Terms & Conditions
- You automatically agree to the terms listed below upon confirmation & registration.
- All payments are non refundable. They are however, transferable between participants.
- Title was changed to "BEAM Early Stage Investing Course: Malaysia (Jan 2017)". Diff 2017-01-03 09:27:03
12:30 PM - 7:00 PM MYT
Early Bird (1 pax) RM899.00 Early Bird (2 pax) RM1,299.00 Standard (Discounted) RM899.00
- Venue Address
- 199, Jalan Tun Razak, 50400 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
5 minutes away from KLCC